Reducing Space Debris
The capstone team I led in my final year at the University of Colorado was tasked with designing a cover for a magnetic interface exposed to Low Earth Orbit. We worked with a local startup, Altius Space Machines, to design and build a prototype that uses their interface to protect a satellite data connection while in orbit and launch.
This project challenged each of my team members to learn the science behind magnetic systems, which was very unfamiliar at the start of the year. We applied this knowledge, from testing and research, to turn out a product that exceeded the expectations of the CEO of Altius, JonathanGoff.
Water Cistern Build Manual
The town of Petit-Trou-De-Nippes of western Haiti experiences droughts in the winter months. We were tasked with finding a way to collect, store, and dispense water for small "victory gardens" to maintain a supplemental food supply during these months. Our output to the Colorado Haiti Project was a build manual written in both Frensh and English that they could provide to their associates in Haiti to educate families in the construction of concrete cisterns
Winner of "Best Design" award
In the spring semester of 2018, I was the Project Manager for a team that built a drill-powered vehicle. We were limited to a budget of $300 and the vehicle had to be designed to compete in one of three different competitions.
Completion of the vehicle occurred in early May 2018. The frame was made entirely from scratch by the build team, including the steering wheel/system and the upholstered seating.
We were awarded the "Best Design" award at the end of the competition run-off.
Brayton Cycle Design/Analysis
In 2016, for my Thermodynamics course, I managed the build of a jet engine that was designed around a car turbo.
The challenges we experienced were in a safe, effective design that was also as inexpensive as possible. This was helped by sourcing materials and ideas from local vendors.
We also had a difficult time acquiring the necessary sensors to get the appropriate data needed to analyze the Brayton cycle of our engine. In the end, we were able to get enough of the right data points to solve the equations we used in the classroom.